Dr LC Cheng for closure

Dr LC Cheng had arranged for me to see him again to take my last beta HCG test. Somehow gynae appointments are about waiting and waiting. I reported to the lab as usual for my blood test to check the HCG level. I chose to go to the laboratory at TMC because there was this Indian nurse at LC Cheng's who could not do a proper blood test. She tortured me so much by using the needle to fish for the vein and could not manage to draw any blood. She would then put the blame on me, saying that I was too nervous. I stopped her from any further tries and requested another nurse to draw for me. It was then that they referred me to the laboratory upstairs. The staff was an expert. They drew blood efficiently and WITHOUT PAIN. I did not even know that they had finished drawing. It was that amazing. Since then, I had requested my blood to be drawn at the lab instead of the clinic downstairs.

I arrived around 9am to take my blood test and my appointment was at 1130am. We saw the doctor around 1pm. Dr Cheng said that my HCG level was below 1 which showed that the body did not have any more pregnancy hormone. We asked him some questions and his responses were:

Hub and Me: What is our next course of action?
LC Cheng: Relax, take a break physically and emotionally.

Hub and Me:  Take a break physically means abstaining from trying for a baby?

LC Cheng: You can continue as per normal. If you conceive again, we will take it from there. Usually, you will wait for one cycle for your normal period to start again. But there are also many cases whereby women who miscarried got pregnant straightaway and went on to deliver a normal baby.

Hub and Me: If so, why do we need to wait for one normal period?

LC Cheng: It is safer. If your period doesn't come by Dec, come and see me again in Jan.

Hub and Me: What should we do to prepare for the next pregnancy? Are there any tests that we could do to prevent another miscarriage.

LC Cheng: I would not recommend testing as most of the time, we can't pin point what is wrong. Usually, miscarriages are due to chromosome issues. It is very unlikely that it is due to the uterus environment. What we would do would be to regulate your menstruation through Clomid. This would be consistent with our initial plan after your first miscarriage - to start on Clomid three months later.

Hub and Me: I tend to ovulate very late. Does that affect the health of the egg?

LC Cheng: No.

Hub and Me: If not, why is there a need to regulate my menstruation?

LC Cheng: Firstly, to maximize the chances that you would be fertile and you could aim better if your could predict your ovulation. Second, we want to ensure that your egg grows in the right environment.

Hub and Me: Because of my irregular periods, I am very concern about low progesterone issues. Under what circumstances would I be given the jab?

LC Cheng: Progesterone is given in different forms. I have already prescribed the oral form.

Hub and Me: The jab is much faster and easily absorbed?


LC Cheng: Yes. I usually give the jab if I want a fast boost.

Hub and Me: When my HCG levels are falling, why can't I take the jab?

LC Cheng: It is too late to jab at that stage. It would only prolong the miscarriage. When HCG levels fall, your baby might eventually miscarried at three months. It is really nature's way of removing abnormalities.

Hub and Me: Then can I take the jab at the start?

LC Cheng: It is very painful and once your take the jab, you have to jab throughout your 12 weeks. After 12 weeks, the baby would make his own progesterone.

Hub and Me: I don't mind the pain. Can I request for a jab at the start?

LC Cheng: Yes you can but why go through the unnecessary pain. As mentioned, miscarriage is Nature's way. You might not need the jab anyway.

(silence)

Hub and Me: What is the purpose of measuring HCG? I find it so stressful.

LC Cheng: Measuring HCG is the only way for me to date your pregnancy as your period is irregular.

Hub and Me: For our next pregnancy, we are thinking of going to the doctor only after some time when the pregnancy stabilize to save ourself the disappointment since we can't do anything about it if it fails.

LC Cheng: No, you should still call us ASAP when you discover your are pregnant. We need to localize the pregnancy and look out for any abnormality. Some conditions are life threatening. If the pregnancy occurs outside your womb, your tubes might explode if you wait too long to see a doc.

(silence)

Hub and Me: Thank you doc.

(Catherine gave me a pat on the back)

He charged me S$96 for consultation. :):)
I thought it was cheap. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCM Physician Tan Siew Buoy 陈秋梅 - What is she like?

TCM Physician Tan Lee Kee of Ying Chuan Chinese Medical Hall in Jurong

The cold wind blows