All sorts of causes of Miscarriage

Dr Henry Cheng ordered some tests for me to be done at Gleneagles. Some of the tests were on antibodies, SLE, thyroid and glucose test. As I had not done a comprehensive medical check up, I asked him to include one. The results revealed that I was healthy although my cholesterol was a little high but he said that was not a big concern. Since the results were fine, he prescribed clomid, progesterone and Bokey aspirin. His instructions was for me to take 100g of Clomid on Day 6 and to start having intercourse from Day 12 to Day 19. After Day 19, I should start taking progesterone. I also had to take aspirin and folic acid everyday. 

Apart from doctor hopping, I also embarked on a research about causes of miscarriage religiously. As my test results yielded nothing, I was so desperate for an answer. My intention was to find solutions to prevent it. Gynaes tend to be silent on this topic and seldom offer much personal take. 

After endless google search and coupled with my experience with TCM and old wives' tales, these are the reasons that I had discovered. 

TCM
Weak Womb
The chinese called the womb the palace of the child. If the womb is not in the right conditions, too hot or too cold, it cannot sustain the life.

Lifting Heavy Things off the floor
It will affect the blood circulation to the foetus.

Someone tapping you on your shoulder
Dr Ang Mui Choo's assistant at Yu Guo told me not to let anyone tap my shoulder because there is a meridian in our shoulder that is connected to the womb.

Cold food and drinks
This is closely linked with the reason - weak womb. All the TCM physicians that I have visited advocated warm drinks and food. No raw food too.

Doing ultra scans too early
I heard this from someone who heard it from their TCM doctor and I heard this again from a masseur from Myanmar. It was believed that the high pitch sounds emitted by the ultra scans would disturb the embryo when it is in its very early stages.

Old Wives Tale
Announcing your pregnancy before your first trimester is up
My beautician reminded me sternly not to tell anyone about my pregnancy because the baby would be jealous and leave the womb.

Moving your marital bed
My Mother-in-Law believes that the miscarriages were due to the fact that we have moved our marital bed a few times in order to avoid the sunlight. The Chinese believe that "An Chuan", installing the marital bed is very important in a marriage.

Being intimate with your husband
My hairdresser said that she was so superstitious that she slept in a different room from her husband during her pregnancy for fear that the baby would be jealous and leave her.

Scientific

Chromosomes
Some genetic defect would result in unhealthy embryos and miscarriages.

Low progesterone
Progesterone is needed to sustain the pregnancy for the first three months before the placenta could take over in the second trimester.

Luteal Phase Defect
Some women have their period less than 10 days after ovulation. This is supposed to cause miscarrige.

Endometriosis
The lining has grown outside of the uterus. It can cause scarring and the adhesions could not provide adequate nutrients for the embryo.

Immune system
Too high percentage of NK cells might reject the embryo. Or other issues like auto immune, anti-bodies etc. Some papers also say that the maternal immune system simply hates the DnA of the paternal side :(

Ashermen's syndrome
This means scarring of the womb usually due to abortions.

PCO
Polycystic ovaries women tend to have male hormones which would upset the hormone balance, making it not conducive to develop the embryo. It is also believed that women with PCO tend to have unhealthy eggs.

Late ovulation
I finally found the answer that offers peace. When I searched, I tend to search for medical research articles to read rather than forums or websites. I found some research articles and forums supporting what my current gynae says - late ovulation causing miscarriage.

For both of my pregnancies, I ovulated ridiculously late and got pregnant. Both ended early. The websites that I visited were so extreme in suggesting that women should not even try to get pregnant if they ovulate later than day 17. There is this medical research that says that the statistics of women miscarrying with late ovulation is 130%.

Finding an answer brings peace because I know how to face my future.


One, reduce stress that would delay ovulation. I would be reducing my workload.


Two, continue to temp as my temps are accurate. I know when I ovulate base on my previous pregnancies. Try not to get pregnant on late ovulation cycles.


Three, start on clomid as advised.

I have hoped that it is possible because I do have normal cycles before. 

Comments

  1. Tell you a joke. TSB said there is no such thing as cold womb, only dead people have cold womb. I laugh and laugh at this cos it sound so logical :-P I can eat my ice-cream with no guilt whenever I think of her words. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yah lah, but I know that all four of my tcm physicians say no cold drinks and stuff because it would affect the blood flowing to the foetus. Too much cold stuff would make the blood clot and sluggish. But I love to eat ice cream because it makes me happy. Physician Tan KS is the most kua zhang, he says cannot even drink room temp water!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TCM Physician Tan Siew Buoy 陈秋梅 - What is she like?

TCM Physician Tan Lee Kee of Ying Chuan Chinese Medical Hall in Jurong

The cold wind blows