Prof Mahesh Choolani NUH - Tests for Recurrent Miscarriages

I plucked up whatever courage and strength I had left to call NUH. I explained my situation to the nurse on the other line. She informed me that Prof Mahesh Choolani only sees pregnancy losses on Thursday afternoon. It was quite easy to book an appointment. 

Before I went to see Prof Mahesh, I researched online and had a rough idea what the investigation for repeated losses was about.

When we arrived at NUH Women's clinic Emerald, the receptionist told us to wait outside his consultation room. There were many Indians and Caucasians waiting outside. We were the minority race. We waited for an hour and finally for to meet Prof Mahesh for the first time.

He looked very kind and fatherly. I guessed he had handled pregnancy losses cases many times because he looked so sorry when he introduced himself. He also had good bedside manners. Some doctors just know how to let you know they are sincere. He shook our hands firmly and told us to go for the full spectrum of tests. I was relieved because finally, I would be able to know what was wrong with me or him. I really needed an answer. I was very surprise when he passed us a name card and he wrote his personal mobile number on it.

There were many tests done but I only remembered the prominent ones.

Tests for Recurrent Miscarriages

  • HSG - Hysterosalpingogram 
  • Transvaginal and Transabdominal Ultrasonography
  • Lymphocyte Subsets - CD3, CD4, CD8, CD19, NK cells Abs, NK cells  
  • Thyroid Screen
  • SLE Panel
  • Anti-ENA Panel
  • Toxoplasma
  • Thrombophillia Screening Panel
  • Lupus Anticoagulation Screen
  • Protein C Activity
  • Protein S Activity
  • ESR
  • Factor V Leiden
  • Karyotype (Chromosomes DNA Test) of both husband and wife
  • Glucose Intolerance
  • Sperm DNA Fragmentation Test
  • Preconception Screen
  • Full Blood Count
  • Thalassaemia Screen
  • Blood Group and Antibody Screen
  • Hormones 
That very day, I had 16 tubes of blood drawn from me. I kept praying for a skilful nurse because I had a phobia of needles. I told the nurse that I had bad experience in the past and she would take extra care of me. It was very painful but at least, the blood was drawn. I disliked those experiences whereby it was painful but they had to redraw. 

I was to report back to NUH when my real bleed came for more tests. I could only see Prof like two months later. Cecile, Prof's nurse was the best nurse ever. She ran through the tests details with me. I had the mobile number of both Prof and Cecile. Cecile went through some trouble in order to help me get the correct labs for the tests. 

So I spent a good part of my leave from work waiting for my menses to come and going to NUH for all sorts of test.

The worst test that I had to go through was the HSG. I would do a special post on HSG because it was very terrifying for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCM Physician Tan Siew Buoy 陈秋梅 - What is she like?

TCM Physician Tan Lee Kee of Ying Chuan Chinese Medical Hall in Jurong

The cold wind blows