TCM Physician Tan Siew Buoy

Despite my grief over my loss and helplessness over my dismaying tests results, I managed to pluck up whatever courage was left in me and looked for my fourth TCM Physician - Dr Tan Siew Buoy, someone that I found myself visiting for the longest period. I was pregnant for the third time in May. I started spotting and my pregnancy was failing around end of May but my first real bleed was only around the beginning of July because I had consumed too much oral progesterone. The sac had miraculously disappeared on its own when I went to visit Prof Mahesh to be scanned around June. The doctor said that my body had absorbed the sac! I visited Dr Tan Siew Buoy the same period I saw him.

I was not looking for Dr Tan Siew Buoy. I did not even know who she was. The person I was searching for high and low was Dr Tan Siew Lan as my colleague was healed of her infertility through her when she prayed to God. She was supposed to go for a surgery for her fallopian tubes but she went to Thong Chai instead. After seeing TSL for a few months, she was spotting and thought that her menses was here. TSL took her pulse and said that she was pregnant but the pregnancy had yet to be stabilised. She even told her not to see any gynae first but to eat some herbs to stabilise the pregnancy. After some time, the spotting stopped. She went on to conceive a healthy boy. Coincidentally, my sister's hairdresser was also healed by her and she too had three miscarriages but hers were more than 2 months old. TSL also told her the same advice - not to visit the gynae too early because ultrasound scanning is harmful to the embryo. When I went online to research for the logic, it was believed that the loud high pitch sound produced by the ultrasound would disturb the embryo's growth. Both Tans were colleagues in Thong Chai but they had since moved to private clinics. I tried in vain to locate Dr Tan Siew Lan. Alas, I found out from a medical hall that Tan SL has retired! I could not locate her anywhere.

I only managed to find Dr Tan Siew Buoy. From forums, I discovered that Tan SB was her head of department. In one of the forums, TSL even passed a complicated case to TSB. Tan SB was also Mark Lee's, local celebrity, doctor. He has three kids now. 

Thinking it might be God opening another door, I visited her. Head of department should be of some standards right? Anyway, I was at my wits' ends and I really needed to visit a TCM physician to soothe my broken heart.

I also discovered that TSB is consulting at two clinics - one at NTU TCM and the other one is at Chinatown - Upper Cross Street. The clinic she is consulting at Chinatown is called Health and Beauty Medical Hall - Kang De Mei. I sniggered at the name because it sounded like a beauty centre and not very professional. When I first called up Kang De Mei, the receptionist was not very sympathetic despite telling her my concerns that I had suffered a third miscarriage. She insisted that all new cases would have to wait for at least two weeks. No choice, I waited.

Finally, two weeks later, I managed to see her. I had so much hope to see her because the past few physicians had been so nice and the visits had always been therapeutic because I could pour my heart out to them and pearls of wisdom would fall out from their mouths. To my disappointment, TSB was not the motherly type that I had imagined her to be. She is nice but in a very professional way. She was definitely not the Aunt Agony types. Unlike the previous physicians, she offered no possible reasons and words of comfort why I had recurrent miscarriages despite taking my pulses. I thought since she was so famous, she would be able to at least tell me something about my condition based on this consultation. She only told me to do the western check ups and update her. When I tried to press for more information from her tight lipped mouth, she replied that she could not comment anything since there was no western medical report. She also commented that from a western perspective, it could be due to chromosomes defect too. 

Initially, I thought she did not like me because I sounded like a doom to fail complicated case. She would get irritated with me. Over time, I discovered why she was like that. She has a very long queue of patients waiting for her and is a no nonsense lady. She hates to be interrupted when she is asking me questions. For example, if she asked whether my period flow had blood clots, I only need to answer yes or no. If I attempted to tell her my other concerns regarding the blood flow, she would cut me off and looked irritated. But I really had those concerns but I could not find a suitable slot to tell her. After she was done writing her prescription for me, she looked very eager to ask the next patient in. I realised that if I replied her questions obediently, did not ask her questions and waited for her instructions, she would be smiley and sometimes would even strike up a conversation with me. If she discovered that her patients were pregnant, she would be overjoyed. I overheard her exclamation of joy many times while waiting for my turn. The exclamation of joys were shots of sour grapes juice shoved down my throat, filling my being with green envy. A moment later, I would dread going in because I had no good news to share with her. I no longer had any hopes in her that she would heal my emotional pain. Resigned, I would always walk in quickly and get out quickly too.

Eventually, I showed her my thick wad of medical report. I thought at last, she would be able to shed some light on my situation. But she also dislikes me asking her questions about my western report! She would only say she had no answers. She also liked to downplay my miscarriages. She looked so busy that I was afraid that she would forget my case so I would remind her but she would always dismiss me and ask me to look forward and have faith in her treatment. Otherwise, I must still emphasise that she is a nice lady. She also appears very confident about her treatment. Her medication needs to be brewed so I purchased an electric pot for brewing herbs. 

I have seen her for 8 months. Although I am not pregnant now, I am still seeing her despite my doctor hopping history because I do see improvement in my cycles. My husband said that it was because I had stopped work and was no longer stressed. Well, whatever the reason, no one knows. My cycles are no longer 40 over days. On some good cycles, I even had the perfect 28. Moreover, I no longer had period cramps. I used to think cramps are part of periods but TCM feels that that is unhealthy. During my periods, I also don't feel as tired as before. I only experienced slight discomfort. I did not experience such improvements when I was with other TCM physicians therefore I have faith in her, just that I had no luck in getting pregnant. I know that many of you are interested in her so I have another post about her in greater detail. http://babymakingfromhope.blogspot.sg/2014/06/a-typical-visit-to-physician-tan-siew.html and http://babymakingfromhope.blogspot.sg/2014/07/another-visit-to-health-and-beauty.html

I still had no idea whether I would take up the IVIG option.  This is my post on my results -http://babymakingfromhope.blogspot.sg/2014/02/the-results.html
My family was against if because they didn't like the idea of injecting a drip to mess with my immune system when I am healthy. My husband said that we would decide again when I was pregnant. Dr Tan SB saw my results and said that it was difficult for TCM to treat NK cells because that was not how TCM works. TCM works by treating the whole body so she can't comment whether TCM could heal my condition. She did say she heard about NK cells though. When she heard how expensive it costs (2.5k per drip; I need around 4), she jokingly said then just drink her herbs cheaper option.

One of my favourite hobby while waiting for my turn would be to observe the women waiting to visit her. Some of them look like they are in their forties and I would be filled with admiration for them because they are very brave. Other times, I spotted very fashionable, glamorous ladies decked with branded goods from head to toe. To their friends in the dark, they are the icons of envy but they do not know that these ladies are not downing shots of Tequila at a bar but bowls of yucky medicine. Most of the time, I see very pleasant and nice women waiting patiently for their turn. What have they done wrong to deserve this journey of uncertainty?

When would it be my turn to share good news with her and hear her proud exclamation of joy over ME? Oh God, please send me my child!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCM Physician Tan Siew Buoy 陈秋梅 - What is she like?

TCM Physician Tan Lee Kee of Ying Chuan Chinese Medical Hall in Jurong

The cold wind blows