Infertility Tests and The Results

I had mixed feelings before receiving the results. Part of me wanted to find out what was wrong so that I could treat it. Part of me hoped that there was nothing wrong so I just needed to be patient. Eventually I had hoped that they would find something that would be easily resolved for example a cyst that could easily be removed.

It was bad news, worse than I had expected.

  • HSG - Hysterosalpingogram - HSG: revealed that I had possible uterine synechiae. Another name is Asherman syndrome or just womb scarring. Prof said that the only way to confirm it would be a laparoscopy which he would not be recommending because it was not worth the investigation. He suspected this was not the cause because people with such scarring, it was very difficult to get pregnant in the first place. Moreover I had not gone for DnC before.
  • Transvaginal and Transabdominal UltrasonographyUltra sound scans - polycystic ovaries    (not surprised since LC Cheng had already told me), a small ovarian cyst!
    Prof said that PCO unlikely to cause miscarriages. It only causes irregular periods and hence tougher to get pregnant. He could prescribe Clomid if I wanted. The ovarian cyst was harmless unless I have pain. Otherwise don't bother.

  • Lymphocyte Subsets - CD3, CD4, CD8, CD19, NK cells Abs, NK cells :  Natural Killer Cells - 18%. He suspected that this was causing me to lose my embryos. For some reason, my immune systems NK cells are treating the embryos as cancerous tumors and killing them. The normal range was supposed to be below 12%. He scheduled me for a consultation with him and his rheumatologist Dr Sheila Vasoo. They said that I needed IVIG. I would need around 4 drips when I am pregnant to tie over the first trimester. Each drip would cost $2500. As this is at its experimentation stage, there would be no subsidy unlike IVF. 
  • Thyroid Screen: Normal
  • SLE Panel: Normal
  • Anti-ENA Panel: Normal
  • Toxoplasma: Normal
  • Thrombophillia Screening Panel: Normal
  • Lupus Anticoagulation Screen: Normal
  • Protein C Activity: Abnormal level at 141; Normal range is 70 - 130; Low levels indicate blood clotting issues but high levels seem irrelevant http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003659.htm
  • Protein S Activity: Normal
  • ESR: Abnormal at Level 11; Normal range 3 to 9;  http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/esr/tab/test/ Indicates that inflammation is present in the body
  • Factor V Leiden: Normal
  • Karyotype (Chromosomes DNA Test) of both husband and wife: Normal
  • Glucose Intolerance: Normal
  • Sperm DNA Fragmentation Test: Normal
  • Preconception Screen: Normal
  • Full Blood Count: Normal
  • Thalassaemia Screen: Normal
  • Blood Group and Antibody Screen: Normal
  • Hormones: Progesterone ridiculously low but Prof mentioned that since I had irregular menstruation, I might not have ovulated which had caused the low levels
The good news was that our chromosomes DNA test was normal. My ovarian reserves were also very good.

Prof Mahesh concluded that NK cells 18% was too high.  The threshold for a healthy pregnancy was 12% according to him. He prescribed aspirin, folic acid for me to consume for the next three months. I was supposed to see him three months later. I was very sad because I thought my body had killed my babies. I felt dizzy. A dark cloud seemed to loom over me wherever I walked. My heart felt heavy. My BFF called me when I was at the pharmacy waiting for the medicine. She wanted to ask me how the results went.

"Hey, I am still outside. It is bad. I might cry if I tell you now. Talk to you later," I said over the phone before hanging up.

I began to have low self esteem because I felt sorry for my husband to have married me. My pastor called me up out of the blue and dealt with my grief. I renounced the negative thoughts. I cried hard on the phone with her.

Comments

  1. Hihi, i do not know who you are.but i would like to let you know. I had 2 early miscarriages in 2012. I was also diagonised with high nk cells 18% by Dr mahesh and Dr Sheila at NUH. My hsg showed i had one blocked tube.
    I also began seeing Dr Tan Siew Buoy last year May and concurrently took her medicine.
    Believe in the IVIG and try it out when you are pregnant. Cos I did IVIG with Dr Sheila.
    It worked for me.
    I happen to chance upon your blog a few days before my c section. Frankly speaking I did not read your earlier post cos of my own bad memories. I just read your last 3 posts. I told myself that I must let you know after my delivery that IVIG works and didnt make me sick during the pregnacy. Please take total rest during the whole pregnancy. Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I have asherman's syndrome. Just wondering if u told dr tan siew buoy the results of the tests u went through? I'm considering to go see her for my condition..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bei,
    Yes, I have passed all my results to Physician Tan SB. She told me that TCM does not work by treating specific condition but the total body as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear anonymous, thank you for your word of encouragement that IVIG works. I decided to start a blog because I was so saddened by my experiences that I went online to read about it and chanced upon many blogs. The reading of some blogs kind of soothed my emotions because friends and family who have not been through it don't understand. When I read similar emotions experienced online, I always felt comforted as if an old friend is telling,"it's okay it's alright, shit happens. Just move on. You can do it." I wish you all the best and keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Hope, I have been trying for quite a while, and found out I had PCO and my doctor prescribed me metformin. Once you conceive, this doctor will review you weekly and take measures to ensure you keep the baby. I am successful with this doctor.
    http://singaporemotherhood.com/forum/threads/dr-charles-lim-mt-e.4585/page-25

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anonymous, Thank you for your concern. I went to the forum and the reviews are very positive. I am at this stage whereby I am mentally exhausted and in a limbo stage. Once I have snapped out of it, I will start thinking what is the next step. I am happy for you you have found a way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Hope, I wish you all the best in whatever step you choose to take! Having an encouraging doctor really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Anonymous,

    Thank you for wishing me the best! Appreciate your comments! Lighten the burden in my heart. Please help to share my blog as I hope to find a solution without resorting to IVIG.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karyotype (Chromosomes DNA Test) --- hi there! will u be able to share how we can get this tests done? and what is the marker on the report called? thanks alot

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TCM Physician Tan Siew Buoy 陈秋梅 - What is she like?

TCM Physician Tan Lee Kee of Ying Chuan Chinese Medical Hall in Jurong

The cold wind blows