IVIG -Intravenous immunoglobulin and sustaining pregnancy

Some entries ago, I have promised that I would post an entry on IVIG. For those sweeties out there who have been following my blog, you would have known that IVIG is the recommended procedure by my gynae when I am pregnant. I am supposed to get IVIG drip estimated four drips during my first trimester in order to sustain my pregnancy. But alas, in this year of break from work, I did not manage to get pregnant so I forgot about  my promise to you. Today, on a lazy Saturday, I remembered my promise. Why do I need to research on IVIG and do a post? Why can't I research on wikipedia the relationship between IVIG and pregnancy? Because such articles are usually biased towards a view. If I find out based on the questions in my head, I would have a clearer understanding.

Have you ever had this experience that when you are desperately finding something, you just cannot find it no matter what you do or how much you try? The moment you stop looking for it, it will pop up one day and delight your heart to no end. This is exactly how I am feeling now while deciding whether I should continue to pin for my yet to exist child.

What is IVIG?
IVIG contains the pooled immunoglobulin G (IgG) immunoglobulins from the plasma of approximately a thousand or more blood donors. Wait a minute, so, what is IgG?

Bingo! I found a relevant answer. 


 "IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. They are the smallest but most common antibody (75% to 80%) of all the antibodies in the body. IgG antibodies are very important in fighting bacterial and viral infections. IgG antibodies are the only type of antibody that can cross the placenta in a pregnant woman to help protect her baby (fetes)." http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/210367-overview


How does IgG protect the foetus?

"The mother's IgG protects the fetus and infant until the infant's immune system can produce its own antibodies. Also, IgG is the most common class of antibody used in treatment." http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/immune_disorders/biology_of_the_immune_system/acquired_immunity.html


"The aim of the present review is to provide information on the development of human placental function during pregnancy, the immunology of human pregnancy and the role of the placenta in providing the fetal tissue with antibodies (IgG and its subclasses 1–4), which are required for the passive immunization of the newborn." http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/780615


Cool! I did not know that IVIG is injecting something into my body to protect my foetus! I thought it was to shut down my immune system or to teach my immune system to behave properly which I thought was crap when I first heard it from the reproductive rheumatologist.

I thought this information is useful: "The implanted blastocyst in the uterine tissue will be supplied from the maternal circulation with oxygen and metabolic substrates, which are required for embryonic developing growth." 

Metabolic substrates has something to do with metabolism. I have always suspect my metabolism is very low. I gained fat easily without exercise, especially with carbohydrates. Maybe I shall do a post on Metabolism and Pregnancy. 


(I am a bit tired from reading the medical articles. I shall take a rest. I am happy with my findings so far.)




Comments

  1. Ralista Tablet is utilized in female patients experiencing breast cancer. The medication is otherwise called a specific estrogen receptor modulator or SERM.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TCM Physician Tan Siew Buoy 陈秋梅 - What is she like?

TCM Physician Tan Lee Kee of Ying Chuan Chinese Medical Hall in Jurong

The cold wind blows